Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easy Stock Recipe

I remember after Christmas dinner one year, my MIL's astonished reaction when she discovered that neither I nor my SIL made stock...that we would let that turkey carcass go to waste. At the time my defence was that my time was worth more to me than the $2.19 that a Tetra pak of chicken stock would cost me.

I think differently now.

A. I make pretty nearly everything we eat from scratch.
B. I want my grocery bill to be as small as possible.
C. I figured out how to make stock with the smallest amount of fuss and time output possible.

Here's how I do it:

1. After the roast turkey or chicken dinner, I remove the meat from the bones. This is easiest while the bird is still warm; simply pull it off. Slice it if you like.

2. Even before I do the dishes, I cut up onion, celery, and carrots. These are the key vegetables for making a good stock.

3. Put the vegetables and bones together on a plate, in a plastic container, or in a plastic baggie (whatever you use to stash leftovers in your fridge). You may want to separate these into two or three batches, depending on the size of the bones.

4. The next morning, I toss one batch into my CrockPot and cover with water. I cook this on the low setting for about eight hours.

5. Scoop out the bones and the vegetables. Strain the liquid (I use a strainer lined with paper towel). This will leave you with a clear broth and very little of the fat.

6. Transfer the stock to ice cube trays. For me, one batch fills about five trays. Put these in the freezer.

7. Once the stock is frozen, you can either use it from the trays, or pop out the cubes and put them into a container or plastic baggie.

That's it. Simple, painless, and frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment